Rhythmically Speaking, a Twin Cities-based dance company with a 14-year history and a national reputation for excellence in jazz, seeks works for stage and screen for presentation as a part of our program The Cohort 2022. The program includes a live stage production in the Twin Cities in summer 2022 and dance film screenings in the fall in partnership with the Sans Souci Festival of Dance Cinema (CO), a niche film festival specializing in films that integrate the aesthetics of dance and cinema.
Submitted works must explore jazz and/or American social dance ideas from forms including but not limited to tap and hip hop styles. We encourage you to join the ongoing conversation around “what constitutes jazz and American social dance,” and the sociocultural histories of and innovations in these styles by submitting. Artists 21 and older at any point in their careers are welcomed to submit.
Separate curatorial panels for stage and screen works will select three works for a live production in Minneapolis in August 2022, and 7-10 films for fall screening events. Stage submissions must be for eight or fewer dancers and between 15-22 minutes in length, and will be selected through both this open call and by invitation. The staged works panel will be selecting two works of existent, revisited repertoire from visiting (based outside of Minnesota) artists, and one proposal for a new work from a local (Minnesota-based) artist. All stage works will be performed by the Rhythmically Speaking company dancers. Screen works submissions must be between 2-15 minutes in length.
- Submissions Open for Stage: NOW
- Submissions Open for Screen: October 15, 2021
- Stage Submissions Due: November 12, 2021
- Stage Selections Announced: by December 17, 2021
- Screen Selections Announced: by May 6, 2022
- Local Choreographer Rehearsal Period: Wednesday/Friday, 1:00-5:00pm, June 1-July 1, 2022 – Twin Cities, MN
- Visiting Choreographer #1 Rehearsal Period: July 11-16, 2022 – Twin Cities, MN
- Visiting Choreographer #2 Rehearsal Period: July 25-30, 2022 – Twin Cities, MN
- Stage Production Week: August 15-20, 2022 – Twin Cities, MN
- Dress Rehearsal August 17
- Performances August 18-20
- Tech Rehearsal: 3 hours per piece
- Screen Events: TDB in October 2022 – Colorado and Minnesota
Please note: all selected stage artists will be asked to teach one or two company and/or open classes in their approach while they are in the Twin Cities.
For more on each company and details on compensation and how to submit, please visit rhythmicallyspeakingdance.org. Questions? Reach out to Erinn Liebhard at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to seeing your work, and thank you for your interest!