Seeking works for Rhythmically Speaking presents The Cohort 2022 – Stage & Screen
Twin Cities-based jazz and American social-dance inspired company Rhythmically Speaking seeks works for stage and screen for presentation in their live summer 2022 production in the Twin Cities and for fall dance film screenings in partnership with the Sans Souci Festival of Dance Cinema (CO), a niche film festival specializing in films that integrate the aesthetics of dance and cinema.
Submitted works must explore jazz and American social dance ideas from forms including but not limited to tap and hip-hop styles. We encourage you to join the ongoing conversation around “what constitutes jazz and American social dance,” and the sociocultural histories of and innovations in these styles by submitting. Artists 21 and older at any point in their careers are welcomed to submit.
Separate curatorial panels for stage and screen works will select three works for a live production in Minneapolis in August 2022, and 7-10 films for fall screening events. Stage submissions must be for eight or fewer dancers and between 15-22 minutes in length. The staged works panel will be selecting two works of existent, revisited repertoire from visiting (based outside of Minnesota) artists, and one proposal for a new work from a local (Minnesota-based) artist. All stage works will be performed by the Rhythmically Speaking company dancers. Screen works submissions must be between 2-15 minutes in length.
This is a paid opportunity.
- Submissions Open: October 15, 2021
- Submissions Due: November 12, 2021
- Stage Selections Announced: December 17, 2021
- Screen Selections Announced: May 6, 2022
- Local Choreographers’ Rehearsal Period: Wednesday/Friday, 1:00-5:00pm, June 1-July 1, 2022 – Twin Cities, MN
- Visiting Choreographer Rehearsal Period #1: July 11-16, 2022 – Twin Cities, MN
- Visiting Choreographer Rehearsal Period #2: July 25-30, 2022 – Twin Cities, MN
- Stage Production Week: August 15-20, 2022 – Twin Cities, MN
- Tech: three hours
- Dress: August 17
- Shows: August 18 – 20
- Screen Events: TDB in September (Colorado) and November (Minnesota) 2022
For details, submission information and questions, visit our website and/or connect with us at the email listed below.
We look forward to seeing your work and thank you for your interest! – Erinn Liebhard, Artistic and Executive Director